Tomato soup is the soup equivalent to vanilla ice cream. And I mean that entirely positively. It is a great crowd-pleaser. Is there anyone who isn’t satisfied with a steaming cup of tomato soup?
Table of Contents
My childhood recollection of tomato soup in Indian restaurants is of a not-so-thick, salty-spicy-sweet soup with ghee-fried croutons floating on top of the scorching hot soup, which was everyone’s favourite part. The dinner on long railway rides also includes a similar soup.
Even though I’m older and savvier about food, I still enjoy “retro-style” soups. However, I also enjoy soups with more decadent flavours, whether they are made with oven-roasted tomatoes, mirepoix (a blend of celery, onion, and carrots), roasted garlic, or other unique ingredients.
Here, I’ll give you a quick recipe for tomato soup that uses fresh tomatoes and an Instant Pot. To make it even faster, you may also use canned whole or diced tomatoes in place of fresh ones.
Tomato soup may be easily made in the Instant Pot and is an excellent alternative for busy people, especially on weeknights. I used to prepare it in a manual pressure cooker, but the Instant Pot, with its auto shut-off feature, requires even less watching. While this soup recipe just calls for tomatoes, you can simply add some chopped carrot, beetroot, pumpkin, or even apple to the basic tomato soup to give a touch of sweetness and a varied flavour profile.
The Fridge Doesn’t Have Any Vegetable Broth. No Worries!
Many tomato soup recipes call for chicken or vegetable broth. If you don’t have broth on hand or prefer soup as a quick supper alternative, this is the recipe for you. During the cooking process, I used a stock cube and water. Even the stock cube is optional in this recipe. A vegan and vegetarian no-broth, no-cream tomato soup that is rich in flavour, robust, and provides a filling supper with crusty bread or a salad.
What Is The Purpose Of Baking Soda In Tomato Soup?
Whether or whether you add baking soda while making tomato soup is an interesting cooking science tip. Some tomato varietals have high acidity levels, which can cause the soup to taste overly strident and harsh. The desi or naati types of tomatoes available in India have a one-dimensional sour flavour, making them unsuitable for soups. By neutralising some of the tomato’s acids with a little amount of sodium bicarbonate, an alkaline or basic ingredient, the soup’s flavour is rounded out and more balanced.
When you add milk to the soup, it won’t curdle because the baking soda reduces the acidity of the soup and raises its pH. However, despite the acidity of the soup, the cream does not curdle because of the cream’s fat content.
What Goes Well With Instant Pot Tomato Soup?
- A basic salad (particularly for lunch)
- The grilled cheese (sandwich)
- Toasted and buttered crusty sourdough bread or thick flatbread
- Thick tomato soup can be combined with grains such as rice or quinoa to provide a complete meal
How Can I Improve The Flavor Of My Basic Tomato Soup?
- Croutons – Using stale bread to create croutons is usually a smart idea. The air fryer is effective at doing it
- Herb oil – Combine some fresh herbs with extra virgin olive oil
- Chilli oil – For people who want their food spicy
- Pesto – Pesto is a flavorful condiment that pairs well with tomato and basil. So it comes as no surprise that adding pesto on top of the tomato soup gives a straightforward dinner a flavour boost
- Toasted seed mixture – For crunch and crackling
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO): Drizzling EVOO over top of the soup gives it the appearance of coming right out of a gourmet magazine
- Cream or coconut cream – To enhance the luscious flavour of fats
- Butter – After all, butter improves the taste of everything
How Do You Thicken Watery Tomato Soup?
- In order to thicken the soup and give it a glossy sheen, add 2 teaspoons of cornflour or cornflour to 3–4 cups of boiling soup and let it stew for another 2–3 minutes. Instead of cornflour, tapioca starch can be utilised
- A tiny quantity of a starchy vegetable, such as potato, sweet potato, or butternut squash, added to the tomatoes while boiling gives the soup body and keeps it from becoming watery
- Fresh bread crumbs may be made by grinding a piece of bread, and they can be added to thin soup to thicken it